HeyMikeyATL was invited out to the media press lunch for Tyler Perry‘s new series, and TLC‘s first scripted series, coming out titled ‘Too Close to Home‘. During our lunch, we not only got to hear from the cast members and Mr. Tyler Perry himself, but also got to preview a screening of the first episode of ‘Too Close to Home‘ that will premiere on Aug. 22 at 9 p.m. ET/PT!
Present at the event were Creator, Director and Writer Tyler Perry, Danielle Savre (Bring It On: All or Nothing), Brock O’Hurn (Tyler Perry’s Boo! A Madea Halloween), Kelly Sullivan (“The Young and the Restless”) Ashley Love-Mills (“Nashville”), newcomer Annie Thrash and Alpha Everette Trivet (“Drop Dead Diva”). Tyler Perry Studios executives Ozzie Areu (President), Will Areu (Senior Vice President) and Mark E. Swinton (Producer).
The first episode of ‘Too Close to Home‘ had the entire TRACE room at the W Midtown in Atlanta on the edge of their seats! This series tells the story of Anna (Danielle Savre) who leaves her trailer park home in Alabama to move to Washington D.C. where she works as an intern at the White House. Anna piles up more and more skeletons in her closet when she lies to her friends in Washington about having a super rich and wealthy family, cuts off all ties from her real family in Alabama and worst of all has a secret affair with one of the nation’s most powerful men.
Anna finds herself in a huge political scandal when her affair is exposed to the world, making national headlines and she has no where to go except the one place she did everything to forget about – her Alabama home.
At the press lunch, the cast had nothing but amazing things to say about Tyler Perry, and Mr. Perry shared a lot with us about the show as well.
Here are 5 things you need to know about ‘Too Close to Home’:
1. Although ‘Too Close to Home”s settings vary from Alabama, to Washington D.C. and more, the entire series was filmed at Tyler Perry Studios! “We don’t leave the lot,” Tyler tells us.
2. This new series, as well as most of Tyler Perry’s productions, moves extremely fast during filming. While the usual time it takes to film one episode of a series is 7-8 days, ‘Too Close to Home‘ would finish one episode in ONE day while filming.
3. Tyler says, “The show was specifically written for TLC viewers,” sharing with us that he watched all of the shows on TLC and took elements from each of them.
4. Heather Locklear plays a significant role in the show, and when asked about Tyler’s process with casting Locklear, he says, “She was the only one I wanted [for the role].” Perry says when thinking about who he wanted to play this particular role he immediately thought of Heather and gave her a phone call.
5. Tyler’s inspiration for this show was to have a ‘fish out of water’ story. “I wanted to know what would happen if someone really got to this level and had to go back to where they came from,” Tyler says.
Make sure you tune into TLC on Aug. 22 at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT for the two-hour premiere of ‘Too Close to Home‘!
Written By: Daniela Posso