If you’re a Frank Ocean fan like us, you’ve probably heard about the release of his new album titled Blonde. The highly anticipated follow-up to his 2012 masterpiece Channel Orange, Blonde definitely does not disappoint in our eyes (and ears) and demonstrates a lot of growth from the 28 year old musical talent.
To celebrate the release of his second album we’ve decided to compile a list of 5 facts which you may not know about Frank Ocean, while also highlighting his unique taste in fashion. Without further ado, let’s kick it off.
- Contrary to popular belief, Frank Ocean is his stage name. His real name is Christopher Lonny Breaux. He later legally changed his last name to Ocean, as he thought it would look better on magazine covers. His stage name is inspired by Danny Ocean who was a character in Ocean’s 11.
- Before breaking out as a solo artist, Frank Ocean was a songwriter for artists such as Justin Bieber and Beyonce. After releasing nostalgia, ULTRA he caught the attention of rap superstars Kanye West and Jay-Z who recruited him on their collaborative projectWatch The Throne.
- Frank Ocean lived in New Orleans for a long period of his life and only moved to Los Angeles after Hurricane Katrina hit and wreaked havoc on the region. Oceans facilities in which he was doing the majority of his recording was badly flooded and looted which led to his decision to move to Los Angeles, California.
- Frank Ocean is a member of the creative rap collective Odd Future. Ocean joined the group after building close ties with Tyler, The Creator. Frank Ocean said that working with them was “creatively invigorating” having previously just worked as a songwriter for others.
- Before becoming a full time songwriter, Frank Ocean worked various day-jobs to keep himself afloat. Some of his previous employers include AT&T, Allstate and Subway.
Written by: Boys’Co
“Boys’Co is one of the leading multi-brand men’s fashion retailers in Canada with over 30 years of experience. It’s a Guy Thing is their menswear and lifestyle editorial which aims to provide it’s readership with the hottest fashion trends, style tips, celebrity spotlights, pop culture news, and more.”