“Game of Thrones” Creators to Make New Series, “Confederate,” & Respond to Backlash!

DB Weiss and David Benioff

“Game of Thrones” is probably one of the most “Must Watch” TV series to date and piggybacking off that fame, the creators of the hit show plan to create yet another period drama series.

The creative duo, DB Weiss and David Benioff ,who have masterminded the success of the money-spinning fantasy series, are to return to the US broadcaster with a new series called ‘Confederate’, which will begin shooting after the final season of ‘Game of Thrones’ wraps.

game of thrones season 5 promo poster

The much-anticipated new show centres on civil wars, but not exclusively the US civil war, and is set in a reality whereby the Confederacy seceded successfully.

As a result, the US society in which the show is set features legalised slavery and will follow the stories of characters who live their lives on either side of the demilitarized zone.

But before the show launches, attention will continue to centre on the finale to ‘Game of Thrones’.

Naturally, people have questioned “Confederate” before it has even aired but the showrunner have since responded to criticism.

confederate flag

According to Variety.com

Critics questioned the decision to have the drama be told by two white men, although Benioff and Weiss will be working on the project along with Nichelle Tramble Spellman (“Justified,” “The Good Wife”) and Malcolm Spellman (“Empire”).

The producing team defended the project in an interview with Vulture, urging patience given that no scripts have even been written yet.

“Everything is brand new and nothing’s been written,” said Weiss. “I guess that’s what was a little bit surprising about some of the outrage. It’s just a little premature. You know, we might f–k it up. But we haven’t yet.”

Nichelle Tramble Spellman said she understood the critics’ outrage but said it was premature. “I wish their concern had been reserved to the night of the premiere, on HBO, on a Sunday night, when they watched and then they made a decision after they watched an hour of television as to whether or not we succeeded in what we set out to do,” she said. Added Malcolm Spellman, “You cannot litigate this on Twitter. It’s not possible.”

The producers acknowledge they anticipated some backlash, if not the full breadth of it that the announcement stirred up. “You’re dealing with weapons-grade material here,” said Spellman.

The producers explained that their narrative isn’t a defense of slavery or an endorsement of white supremacist ideas. “This is not a world in which the entire country is enslaved,” he said. “Slavery is in one half of the country. And the North is the North… The imagery should be no whips and no plantations.”

The foursome said they’ve known each other for 10 years, and that they’re approaching this project as a true collaboration. “The reality is, ‘Game of Thrones’ has been a successful show for HBO, which has put us in a position to come and pitch another show and get them excited about it. And that’s what helped get us here,” said Benioff. “But when we sit down and map out this show, and the season, and the characters, it’ll be the four of us arguing about everything.”

But they acknowledged the high-wire act of the concept. “This is scary, for all of us. It’s scary for different reasons. But it is a pretty terrifying prospect getting into it. We knew it would be, and now it’s come true,” said Benioff.

What do you all think of this new series? Sound off below because it’s time for another #OpinionHour.

Written By: Monique C. Tillman

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s